Friday, October 24, 2014

Wedding Problems? Turning Tragedy into Comedy



We all should know "Murphy's Rule of Thumb": "If it could go wrong, it will". But we don't want it to happen on our wedding day. We plan, we delegate, we pay people to make it perfect. But how should we look at it when something does go wrong? Most people don't even consider that we have a choice in perspectives when things go wrong, but that is what this blog is about. Learning to turn our frowns upside down. (Hopefully)     (:   :)

Years ago I heard a quote which has stuck with me ever since. “One man’s tragedy is another person’s comedy”. While this seemed morbid at the time, through the years, I have come to understand my English teacher’s perception. The idea is that when something tragic happens, others may find it funny and hopefully after our grieving period we are able to look back and laugh too. One time I had the brakes on my bike replaced. Later that day I was clipping along (going downhill) and had to stop for a car turning into a parking lot. I only had front brakes and as I applied the brakes (forgetting they just got fixed), the seat of the bike rose above my head and flipped completely over. I was lucky enough not to get hurt, while people around me were rushing to see if I was okay, all I could do was laugh hysterically because as the seat came over my head (in what seemed like slow motion) I was picturing how funny it would look on video. I laugh each time I remember that moment.

I feel that sharing these things can help future brides in 2 ways.

1. To prepare back up plans or to proper responses to the what if’s.
2. Also in understanding the amount of stress we build while planning this very important day, hearing these stories might give us a giggle and help us to realize that some of the littler things that go wrong are the moments we can laugh at in the future. Of course there is always the possibility of something happening that we would never think funny, but let us not make mountains out of molehills.

Starting with stories below, I would love to hear feedback from all you about if something went wrong with your wedding, what, how did you feel, and what advice would you give brides to be.
~Candle Unity wedding where the candle wax ended up on dresses
~Speedo old man flirting in the pictures of a beach wedding         
~Cocktail hour before wedding resulted in drunk bridesmaids
~Dye in hair of groom running down his face during ceremony
~Forgotten and/or dropped rings during ceremony
~DJ never showed up
~Unrehearsed ceremony where father didn’t know what to do when he “gave his daughter away”, so he improvised with a high five to the son in law.
Now it is time to hear your stories. I look forward to reading them and hope all the future brides do to!  

No comments:

Post a Comment